A common issue many smart phone users is transferring their contacts between phones. Yesterday my friend got a new Android phone and after inserting the sim card from iPhone I noticed he has no contacts. It seems all his contacts are kept on his iPhone memory and not on the sim.
I’ve seen it talked about on a number of forums and it doesn’t appear that there is a clear cut method of dealing with this. The most common solution I found involved jailbreaking the phone- something I am not comfortable doing for a variety of reasons.
Finally, after a bit of research I was able to find a solution by creating a vCard. Here it is:
- Install MCBackup from App Store (FREE)
- Select Backup (it will take a while if you have hundreds of contacts)
- Once the backup file is done it will ask you to send it as email attachment to yourself
- Download the .vcf file from your email to your computer
- Connect your new phone to computer and upload the .vcf file into the root of your phone
- Safely unplug your new phone
- On HTC go to People app / Menu / Manage contacts / Import/Export contacts / Import from phone storage
Note: After I selected Import from phone storage I received an error – ‘failed to parse vcard for unexpected reason invalid line xx’. If you receive the same, open the .vcf file with Wordpad search for whatever contact is displayed and correct the error. You can look at a similar contact in the code and replicate the same format and code around your corrected contact. E.g. my broken contact was going on 2 lines. Once I removed the ‘enter’, I copied the file again to HTC and then I selected Import again from phone storage. It worked like a charm. Now I have all 251 contacts on my new phone.